Stansfeld Outdoor Education Centre is situated just off Quarry Road, in the Headington Quarry area of Oxford, about six miles from junction 8A of the M40. It is accessed via Douglas Downes Close off Quarry Road.
The site was bought by the Rev John Stansfeld in 1918, initially to give children in the St Ebbe’s slums in Oxford the chance of camping in the countryside, but it was later used by wider groups from Oxford as well as schoolchildren from London, and children from the parish of St Saviour’s in Birmingham with which Rev Stansfeld also had links.
In 1933, Rev Stansfeld bequeathed the land to Birmingham Parish, later taken over by Birmingham City Council, and it continued to be used by Birmingham City Council for children to come on residential trips until the Council decided to close the centre in the summer of 2014. During this time, the site was also used by local children from Headington and Wood Farm schools as a “forest school”, and by local Guide and Scout organisations.
The site is about 18 acres (728 hectares). Most of the site is covered in mature woodland which has grown on the site of a former quarry, and is designated a Site of Local Importance for Nature Conservation (SLINC). Included in this area are several ponds. The site also includes an area of buildings – including a two-storey main building for short residential stays and education, and smaller ancillary buildings.
In June 2014, the site was registered with Oxford City Council as an “Asset of Community Value”.
The site closed in summer 2014 and is currently managed through the Camelot Vacant Property Management scheme.